Homemade Ice Cream Without A Machine
Author: Jessica C Montaño
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Freeze Time 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
Yields: 1 1/2 quarts
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. On low speed, mix in the condensed milk, vanilla, and any flavorings.
- Pour into a resealable container, cover the surface with plastic wrap, then seal. Freeze for at least 6 hours, or until firm. Keep stored in the freezer.
- The cream you must use is often called ‘heavy whipping cream,’ this is the best choice for making ice-cream.
- Use a hand or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the cold cream on medium/high speed until SOFT PEAKS form, roughly 3 minutes.
- Cold cream and condensed milk is a key.
- After you add the condensed milk, whip the mix on high speed until STIFF PEAKS form , that means they will hold their shape. **Do not over whip at this stage or your cream will curdle.
Ice Cream Flavor ideas:
*Note: some mix-ins may increase the amount of time the ice cream needs to freeze before serving.
*Add mix-ins to the condensed milk and vanilla before folding into the whipped cream as the recipe instructs.
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1 teaspoon peppermint extract + 1 cup mini chocolate chips + green food coloring to desired hue.
Peanut Butter/ Nutella / Cookie Butter
1/2 cup - 1 cup depending on your flavor desired.
3 tablespoons butter melted + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Caramel or Dulce de Leche
1/2 – 1 cup caramel drizzled over the almost frozen mixture, stir to break up the ribbon a bit, then drizzle more and freeze.
1/2 – 1 cup caramel + 1 teaspoon sea salt drizzled over the almost frozen mixture. Let freeze one hour, stir to break up the ribbon a bit, then drizzle more caramel and sea salt and freeze.
Add a few tablespoons of bourbon.
3/4 cup cocoa powder (sifted) + 4 ounces melted cooled chocolate
1 cup chocolate syrup + 1 cup mini marshmallows + 1 cup toasted almonds swirled into ice cream
10 graham crackers, crushed + 1 Hershey’s bar, chopped + 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted) + 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
Cookies & Cream
15 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped (half cup when chopped)
2 cups fresh berries + 3 tablespoons sugar + 2 tablespoons lemon juice cooked in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until burst. Chill before swirling into ice cream.