Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4-8 Servings
Author: Jessica Cain Montano
For the galette:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
3 to 4 Tablespoons ice water
3 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 large egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon heavy cream or water
For the whipped cream:
8oz Mascarpone cheese
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon of pure vanilla
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add the cubed butter and pulse until combined. With the motor running, slowly stream in the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball. No mixer - the dough can be made by hand by cutting the butter into the flour with your fingers then stirring in the ice water.
2. Shape the dough into a disc and wrap it securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and balsamic vinegar, stirring until combined. Set the filling aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
5. Lightly flour your work surface then using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle then transfer it onto the baking sheet.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the strawberry filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges.
8. Using your fingers, fold the edges of the dough about two inches over the filling.
9. Brush the edges of the galette with the beaten eggwash egg wash then bake it for 26 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Set the galette aside to cool completely while you make the whipped cream. *The juices in the galette will thicken as it cools.
Fresh Whipped Cream:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the mascarpone, heavy cream, vanilla bean seeds, confectioners’ sugar and orange zest until medium, soft peaks form.
2. To serve, slice the galette into wedges and top with whipped cream.